Summer is here – when the days are filled with activity and the nights are… hot and sticky. Here are some warm weather sleep tips to help you sleep well through the summer, and enjoy a deep, restorative sleep.
· Wash sheets often, especially after particularly sultry nights.
· Take a cool bath before bedtime.
· Get up earlier so you can take advantage of the cool mornings. We do not like to work or exercise when we are too hot.
· Change your sheets to cotton rather than satin or non absorbent material. This will be more comfortable if you sweat.
· Uncover your feet. If your feet are hot you tend to feel hotter.
· Open the window and the bedroom door to create a breeze.
· An ice pack on the back of your knees or a cool damp cloth on the back of your neck is great ways to stay cool.
· Keep to your normal bed time to stay cool.
· Remember to drink your water during the day to avoid getting dehydrated.
· Limit intake of foods that contain a lot of water such as watermelon, and beer late at night.
The summer can create some challenges when it comes to sleeping. It is important if we want to take advantage of all the great weather that we take the time we need to get the sleep our body wants.
And if all the above fail, you could always consider getting AC installed – which was exactly what we had to do – it’s hot in Australia you know! Special thanks to the boys at Snowman evaporative cooling installation in Melbourne for an excellent job done!